After half a decade sitting out the conflagration across its border, is Israel about to pick a side? GOLAN HEIGHTS — Signs of war are clearly evident when peering into Syria from the Israeli side of the Golan Heights: bombed-out villages, forests hastily chopped down for firewood, refugee encampments. But above all there is the […]
Just before leaving for Syria, Jerusalem reporter Jonathan Spyer tells VOI’s Eve Harow why a local said to him, ‘Suria Rach,’ or ‘Syria is gone.’ These two video interviews are a must-watch for anyone interested in the current chaotic state of the Levant. On ISIS: “I was actually personally acquainted with Steven Sotloff, one of […]
From the Middle East Quarterly, Fall 2014 issue. Reprinted with permission from the Middle East Forum site. With Islamist groups taking advantage of uprisings across the Middle East, notably in Egypt, where the Muslim Brotherhood succeeded for a time in gaining power and is still widely viewed as the democratically elected government of Egypt, the […]
Tower Magazine, August 2014. One of the most notable aspects of the current conflict between Israel and Hamas in Gaza is the prominent role being played by the Emirate of Qatar in supporting the terrorist organization, whose genocidal charter calls … Continue reading →
Here’s a roundup of four pieces which have appeared in the the media recently about the book Nazis, Islamists, and the Making of the Modern Middle East (click for full preview), by Barry Rubin and Wolfgang G. Schwanitz, now available through Amazon.com. As of this week, we are pleased to report that, as of May 11, this book […]
- The Taliban was collaborator in the September 11 attacks! It could have warned about them and probably stopped them! In other words Obama wants to be friends with the September 11 terrorists! Tell me, did the Taliban apologize? The Taliban have also killed thousands of U.S. and other Western soldiers in the last decade. Did they apologize? Did the Taliban turn over terrorists voluntarily?
- But think of Karzai, too! He’s a Western client regime. That means the Taliban want to put his head on a pole in the fighting that will follow the U.S. withdrawal! They will torture him, if they can ever catch him.
- Islamists feel non-Islamists have no rights.
- All Western states are open ground for subversion and terrorism, including against moderate Muslims.
- Islamist-ruled states will not measure up to any deal with Western states, especially one with compromises.
- The weaker the Western states act, the weaker the Islamists think Westerners to be.